10:43 AM

Act I: Scene II

Posted by Nathaniel Drew

Act I: Scene II

INTRODUCTIONS
Beatrice’s room softly lit with candles.

Beatrice
Can I forget the sunshine in this night of sorrow?
Can I forget because you bid me dear?
Give up the past because my life holds no tomorrow?

There’s a knock on the door.

Come in.

Enter Dr. Bennett, Tommy, and Harry.


Dr. Bennett
Bee, I’ve brought some gentlemen to meet you. This is Mr. Anders, and Mr. Davok. Mr. Davok is charged to care for you.

Beatrice
Are you from the city?

Harlow
Not originally, but we’re going to the University of Detroit Mercy.

Tommy
(somewhat smitten) Yeah, but don’t ask Harry what he’s going to study. He has no idea what he’s going to do with his life.

Beatrice
That’s good. Because you’re here for a reason Mr. Davok.

Harlow
If you mean a place to stay, and money in my pocket you’ve got it spot on.

Beatrice
No, something much more important than...

Dr. Bennett
Bee... (warning her, and turning to Harlow) Mr. Davok, you are to bring her food for breakfast and dinner, and any book she desires. She doesn’t like to travel around the estate because her hallucinations increase. Once a week you will deep clean her room with Gertrude - the woman you met in the courthouse. You are never to be alone with her. She hallucinates, and though Beatrice may look fragile she becomes dangerous very quickly. When you’re on duty I expect you to help Mr. Anders with the library when you’re not tending to Beatrice. Understood?

Harlow
Yes sir.

Dr. Bennett
(as they’re leaving)I’ll get Gertrude to feed you, and I’m sure you’ve had enough adventure to tire you out for the night.

Beatrice
Pleasure to have met you Mr. Davok, Mr. Anders.

Thomas
Pleasure’s ours Ma’am.

Beatrice
I suppose I’ll see you for breakfast Mr. Davok.

Harlow
Suppose so.

Enter Freeman. As he enters Beatrice has a visceral reaction to him, and moves away from him.

Freeman
I have some good news for you Bee. I’ve secured a place for you at one of my other hospitals in Maine. It’s absolutely gorgeous there...

Beatrice
I didn’t ask to leave here.

Freeman
This was my decision. I thought it would be better to give you closer supervision. Who knows, maybe the new scenery would help you.

Beatrice
This is my home.

Freeman
I know it will be hard. All change in life is hard.

Beatrice
This is all I’ve ever known. Do you want to take that away from me?

Freeman
End of discussion. It wasn’t really supposed to be a discussion. I just wanted to let you know.

Freeman exits. She tidies her room as she sings. As she finishes she falls asleep in bed

Beatrice
Why won’t he look at me?
Is he so ashamed?
I know nothing more than these four walls
and now he wants to take even that
to take me away from my home.

This is all I know
All my books and comfort
This is all I know
A man like him could
Never understand

But this new man
Davok has kind eyes
Though doubting
I feel a strength
Beyond anyone I’ve met
I may be saved yet
To stay here in my home

For this is all I know
All my books and comfort
This is all I know
A man like him could
Never understand
...but Harlow
Harlow...

0 comments:

My Music