10:39 AM

Act I: Scene I

Posted by Nathaniel Drew

Act I: Scene I
Click to listen to music
Chloe enters from the audience dressed in a beautiful blue ball gown and a
spotlight following her as she sings.
As Chloe enters the room where
Freeman is writing at his desk the
room lights up.Freeman joins in
at the end of the song to form
a duet. Chloe continues humming
as she moves from room to room.
Each room she enters lights up
showing another inhabitant.

Chloe
Can I forget the sunshine in this night of sorrow?
Can I forget because you bid me dear?
Give up the past because our life holds no tomorrow?
Heart of my heart!

Freeman/Chloe
...Heart of my heart! Heart of my heart!
Can I forget the love...

Chloe
...of yester-year?

Freeman
Whispers in the halls
Ghosts in darkened rooms
Long have these walls
Warned of grief and doom

Beatrice
Locked up in my mind
I witness horrid scenes

Bennett & Beatrice
There is nowhere to hide

Bennett
from her whispers...

Beatrice
... my dreams


Beatrice, Bennett, and Freeman
In the asylum
in my mind
she is haunting me
from another time
the asylum in my mind

Enter Tommy and Harry through the front doors.

Gertrude
Are you the boys Dr. Bennett hired from Detroit Mercy?

Tommy & Harlow
Yes Ma’am

Gertrude
The doctor will be down in a minute to show you your duties.

Which one of you is Harlow?
(Harry raises his hand)
You’re to take charge of Bee. She lives across the street in the farm complex. You can see it through the window there. You must bring her breakfast and dinner; though she prefers to each lunch in the cafeteria. Bee’s scared off her last few caretakers, so just make sure you’re not alone with her. The doctor keeps her across the road because her mother was a friend to the owner. Or at least that’s what the doctor says. It’s more likely that he doesn’t want to hear her fits. Scares the life right out of ya.

You must be Tommy. Our librarian moved away recently, and the library doesn’t need much upkeep - only on the weekends really.
This main buildin’ is called the courthouse, and this main area ‘the ballroom’. It used to be the county house where they’d have court, and when there wasn’t court they’d have the local entertainment here including some of the finest balls in the country. It wasn’t until a few years ago that this building became a part of the asylum.

Tommy
Where do we stay?

Gertrude
There’s a loft above the library. I hope you brought enough bedding. It gets quite cold here in the winter. I also must warn you. The workers and residents here are quite used to it by now, but this asylum makes strange sounds sometimes. There’s tale of a woman committing suicide here years ago. At night, some of the workers have even heard her singing...
enter Dr. Bennett

Dr. Bennett
That’s enough Gertrude. No reason to frighten our new guests away...yet! I trust it was easy to find?

Harlow
It’s like it’s own city just outside Detroit.

Dr. Bennett
Remind me to introduce you to the ‘Mayor’ of this city tomorrow. There are over 10,000 people living here. 8000 patients, and just over 2000 employees. There’s a fire department, police station, school, and even the library which you’ll be working in. Everyone here has a job. The patients mostly work on the farm complex across the way. Some work in the bakery here.

Gertrude
The best bread in all of Michigan!

Dr. Bennett
Come. I’ll introduce you to Beatrice.

Company
In the asylum
in my mind
she is haunting me from another time
the asylum in my mind
(fade out)

0 comments:

My Music